A team from St Martin and St Mary C of E Primary School, Windermere, Cumbria, made up of school caterer Nic Hastie and pupils; Finley Park (aged 8), Harry Vinall (aged 9) and Alice Evans (aged 10) used Country Range Products to bake their way to success. Bagging the winning spot as the 2018 McDougalls Young Baking Team of the Year champions, the school won their way to first place with their Raspberry and White Chocolate scones made using Country Range margarine and baking powder which was delivered by Caterite.
Raspberry and White Chocolate Scones
- 1lb 2oz of McDougalls Self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
- 3 Punnets of raspberries
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1 Bag white chocolate buttons
- 85g Butter (cut into pieces)
- 1 tbsp Caster sugar
- 75ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Egg
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- Pre-heat oven to 200⁰C and grease a baking tray.
- In a large bowl add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix.
- Add the butter then rub with fingers until mixture looks like crumbs.
- Next, stir in the sugar.
- Warm the milk in the microwave and add the vanilla extract.
- Mix some of the milk into the dry mixture with the raspberries and white chocolate buttons, adding more milk when needed.
- Dust a worktop with flour and tip the dough onto the surface.
- Roll out the scone dough and cut into pieces using a scone cutter.
- Place the dough on the greased baking tray and brush over the scones with a beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 minutes until risen and golden and leave to cool.
- 500g/1lb Fresh or frozen raspberries
- 500g/1lb Sugar
- 1tsp Butter
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 8-10 minutes
- Place raspberries and sugar in a wide, deep saucepan.
- Bring mixture to the boil slowly whilst stirring, then add butter.
- Boil hard and fast until mixture starts to thicken (8-10 minutes)
- Leave to cool.
White Chocolate Swans
- 200g White chocolate (chopped into pieces)
Time: 10 minutes (plus time to set)
- Place chocolate into microwaveable bowls and melt in the microwave.
- Once melted, pour the chocolate into swan molds.
- After that, give it a gentle bash.
- Place swans into the freezer, until time to dress plate.
- When dressing the plate, turn the swan mold over and gently tap them out.