bartlett mitchell, one of the UK’s leading independent caterers, has achieved certification to The Planet Mark sustainability programme – becoming the first caterer to achieve the accolade following a rigorous measurement and reporting process.
Certification to The Planet Mark further strengthens the company’s position on sustainability by measuring and reducing its carbon footprint and engaging its stakeholders.
This is bartlett mitchell’s first year of business carbon footprint reporting. It first calculated the carbon footprint of its Egham-Surrey operational site for the year ending December 2018 and set a target to reduce emissions by 5% annually. This year’s footprint includes emissions from purchased electricity, waste, business travel and printing paper for its operational site.
First year certification to The Planet Mark is based on the commitment to continuous improvement in sustainability in its business operations by measuring and reducing its carbon footprint and engaging its stakeholders.
While other caterers have made commitments to reducing their goals, bartlett mitchell has become the first to measure, report and deliver on its objectives.
Commenting on their achievement Steve Malkin CEO & Founder of The Planet Mark said; “We are thrilled that bartlett mitchell has achieved its first year’s certification to The Planet Mark and in doing so, committed to operating in such a way to reduce their carbon emissions. They’ve made remarkable progress and are clearly excited about the future and what they can do next. We’re delighted to have them join the community.”
Wendy Bartlett, founder, bartlett mitchell, said: “This achievement is testament to the brilliant work that our people undertake day in day out. Ever since we started our business, we have had a strong belief that we need to do what we can to help protect our environment and ensure that we are all taking responsibility for the communities we operate in.
“We are delighted to be the first caterer to have delivered on our commitments and, whilst we are very happy with what we have achieved to date, we know that there is more to be done across our sector.”
The Planet Mark certification augments an impressive sustainability agenda held by bartlett mitchell that has seen the contract caterer win the Sustainable Restaurant Association’s ‘Sustainable Caterer of the Year’ Award three years in succession, been voted a ‘Best Company’ to work for, and achieved ‘Investors in People Gold’.
bartlett mitchell has achieved certification to The Planet Mark by showing good practice in sustainability including:
- Measuring carbon emissions from from purchased electricity, waste, business travel and printing paper for its operational site.
- Storing 260 tonnes of CO2 by protecting one acre of endangered rainforest through the charity Cool Earth
- Committing to engage employees and suppliers to drive improvement
- Investing in the Eden Project to support education on climate change
Specific measures bartlett mitchell has been advised to implement its 2019 targets include:
- Conducting ‘energy audits’ to help identify where most energy is being used and potential wastage from equipment, lights and heat loss.
- Investigating the installation of LED, T5 and sensor lighting and the upgrade of heating controls
- Carrying out a waste management audit to understand what waste is being produced, where it is coming from and what the best route for it would be.
- Recording all business travel and promote public transport options for business meeting