Warwickshire College Group (WCG), one of the largest further and higher education providers in the Midlands, has been awarded The Planet Mark™ in recognition of its commitment to continuous improvement in sustainability. The college group reported a 3.7% cut in its total carbon footprint in the year ending July 2016. The certification marks the third consecutive year WCG has retained The Planet Mark™; over that period the college group has managed to slash its carbon footprint by 25%.
The Planet Mark™ Certificate was awarded to WCG for showing good practice in sustainability, including:
- measuring its carbon footprint including natural gas, onsite building fuel, electricity, water and waste
- reducing its carbon footprint by 3.7% in tonnes of CO2e (tCO2e) to 4,800.4 tCO2e
- reducing its carbon footprint per staff and pupil by 11.3%
- investing in the Eden Project to support education on climate change
- storing 260 tCO2e by protecting one acre of endangered rainforest through the charity Cool Earth
- committing to engage employees and suppliers to drive improvements.
WCG has released a video about its sustainability story. You can watch it here.